Sunday, November 06, 2005

Random Thoughts As We Head To Amen Corner

By Jay Coulter
Football Saturday In The South
Here are some random thoughts as we head toward the best two weeks of the year. It’s Amen Corner time…

  • Watching our fourth and fifth string backs each go for 100 yards (I know Tre Smith was a yard short) in Saturday’s win over Kentucky got me thinking about the bad times and how far we’ve come. Do the names Markieth Cooper and Rusty Williams make you wake up in a cold sweat?
  • Just in case you lost count, Auburn is 20-2 over the last two years. These are indeed the best of times….
  • I know our two biggest games are yet to be played, but Tommy Tuberville is building something special at Auburn. Not since the late 80’s have we seen our program in this good a shape year-in and year-out. It’s obvious I know, but don’t lose sight of it. I wouldn’t trade Tuberville for anyone….not Pete Carroll, not Charlie Weiss, not Steve Spurrier, not anyone…
  • Brandon Cox doesn’t get a lot of headlines but he’s having the best sophomore year of any SEC quarterback in recent memory. He has one of the most accurate arms I’ve ever seen. I’m still not use to a left-handed quarterback – and I’m left-handed myself. I’m sorry, it looks funny…
  • How did we lose to Georgia Tech?
  • Why in the world did South Carolina let Kenny Iron’s get away?
  • I still miss Jim Fyffe every Saturday. He was a special person…
  • Something you may have missed this week: Coach Tuberville commented that he’d like a new scoreboard, with a huge screen in place for next season. I hope it’s something like what they have in Arkansas…
  • We may lose to Alabama in two weeks, but today I say their offense is one of the worst in the SEC. I’m amazed they are still undefeated. I think that will change on Saturday when LSU comes to Bryant-Denny.
  • Can you remember a time when Auburn had two funnier characters than Tommy Jackson and Stanley McClover? They have been fun to watch on and off the field…
  • Who was that William Walker guy and where is he now?
  • Is it just me or is the Paul Finebaum show terrible? It’s incredibly boring and the callers are just plain bad. I don’t get what all the fuss is about. Why do Auburn people care what this odd man thinks?
  • David Gibbs has proven a solid choice as defensive coordinator. I know today wasn’t stellar but what a year his unit is having. And give him a break, today the defense stayed in its base formation while Kentucky ran the two-minute offense. Gibbs was already gearing down and looking ahead to Georgia…
  • Al Borges is having another fine year. He’s proven he can make a quarterback. First Jason Campbell and now Brandon Cox. Outside of Steve Spurrier can you think of anyone who you would rather have coaching your quarterback?
  • I’m glad we don’t hear much from Terry Bowden anymore…
  • Please don’t sell your Iron Bowl tickets to Alabama fans. If you can’t go to the game make sure they land in an Auburn person’s possession. Selling tickets to Alabama people is no different than selling classified information to the Chinese. You should be jailed…

Until next time…War Eagle!

Email us at footballsaturday@yahoo.com

No comments: